Spring Cleaning… or Spring Cleansing? Here at ShipShape we prefer to embrace both, especially since a good cleaning can most definitely cleanse your soul. As the warm winds of April blow away the lingering cold of March, you may be tempted to avoid a good cleanup in favor of snapping out of your winter induced cabin fever. We say, go for it! Embrace the outdoors! Breathe in the freshness in the air, the scent of fresh flowers and newly trimmed grass — allergies be damned!
But if you can’t shake that nudge to get into the spirit of a good Spring Cleaning, here are some quick tips to scratch that decluttering itch:
1. TOSS: Expired food and spices. Unfortunately, these cannot be donated, and it’s best to keep that pantry full of the freshness that Spring brings!
2. RECYCLE: Plastic or glass containers without lids, and lids without containers! Mismatched socks might be cute, but mismatched tupperware is a recipe for clutter.
3. DONATE: Clothes that haven’t fit you for at least 3 years — as if you need a good excuse to indulge in some new fashions!
4. TOSS/RECYCLE: Articles on health issues which are older than a year. They have either become obsolete or can be found online.
5. RECYCLE: Old computer manuals. When you’re up to an iPhone 6, there’s no need to hold on to your iPhone 3, 4, or 5 instructions.
6. RECYCLE: Outdated technology like computers, wires, track pads, printers and monitors. A quick google search will uncover your local electronics recycling facility, or locations/dates when those items will be accepted.
7. TOSS/DONATE: Broken toys or toys that your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews etc have outgrown. Broken toys cannot be donated, but shelters or daycares are ready and willing to take on more fun items for their kids.
8. DONATE: Torn or worn out towels, bedding, or rags. Where to send these items? Animal shelters! Even our little Sundae can get behind that!
9. DONATE: Unused toiletries, especially ones from hotels. A woman’s shelter will love these so donate them gladly… and that goes for unused make up or body care as well.
10. ALL OF THE ABOVE: Purge and pass on anything that makes you feel bad about yourself. Whether it’s any of the items we listed, or anything that keeps nagging you, Spring is the time to ring in the new — a perfect time for a soulful cleanse.